FROM THE DIRECTOR
You are welcome to the site of University of Ibadan Centre for Excellence in Teaching and Learning. As the pioneer Director of the Centre, I feel happy that the University of Ibadan has again pioneered Faculty Development in Nigeria. This is a field of practice that is devoted to the improvement of the capacity of higher education academic staff ability to teach effectively and thus make learning more successful. The journey started in 2007 with a MacArthur Foundation grant project in Institutional Strengthening titled Capacity Building in Pedagogical Skills, a project under my leadership and some other able and committed colleagues that saw us design and developed a number of digital instructional strategies and teaching assessment instruments, conducted workshops for over three hundred academics of all cadres drawn from various departments and disciplines. The success of the project led to the setting up of this centre under the able and visionary leadership of Prof. Olufemi Bamiro and Prof. Isaac Adewole as Vice – Chancellors. While the approval of the university organs was achieved under the tenure of Prof. Bamiro, it is to the credit of Prof. Adewole that the dream became actualised with substantial financial and material commitment as well as the appointment of the Pioneer Director in August 2012, inauguration of the centre in its location in June 2014 and the sponsorship of the Centre’s Induction Course 1 for academics in the employment of the university within the last three years.
The challenges before the centre are huge but we are committed to delivering on our mandate as we grow the centre under the following guide;
Our Vision is: To be a world class centre for capacity building in all aspects of undergraduate and graduate teaching with a view to achieving excellence in students’ learning
· To establish and operate a centre for excellence in teaching and learning for diagnosing pedagogical problems, through classroom observation and interaction, evaluation and analysis.
· To design and develop ICT packages (CDs and DVDs) on appropriate strategies for teaching at the higher level of education.
· To train higher education teachers using the ICT – based tools on the identified and appropriate teaching strategies peculiar to various disciplines.
· To give such higher education teachers opportunities to practice the skills developed through micro-teaching sessions which is also ICT driven.
· To assist the teachers through evaluation and mentorship to improve their teaching skills.
· To provide on line and face to face assistance to academic staff in all their challenges and or interest in excellent teaching
· To organize periodic training workshops for achieving all the above for University of Ibadan staff and those outside in line with the university vision to meet societal needs
· To conduct counseling sessions on challenges of teaching in general and
· Expose clients to best practices in higher education teaching.
Join and support us the task ahead. We believe we can make the desired difference in higher education teaching and learning.
Kola Babarinde Ph.d
Philosophy and Sociology of Education; Pedagogy of Higher Education
Department of Teacher Education.
Centre for Excellence in Teaching and Learning
University of Ibadan
Tel. No: 234-(0) 803-3223932